20 July 2008

The Morning...

Having decided to stay in Alpe d’Huez (to soak up the atmosphere pre-ride, as well as being close to the finish for post-ride) the day was always going to start early, requiring a 14km descent to the start line. The alarm went off at 05:15. A muesli & banana breakfast was dispatched. I donned a black bin bag as a windbreak (to offset the extreme cold of descending, at dawn, at 50kph) and we were off. We’d got no more than a 100 yards when... “ping” I hear a rear spoke go. What to do now? I had a few cm of tape so did my best to strap the loose spoke to its neighbour. But the rear wheel was badly buckled I didn’t fancy the descent of the Alpe, let alone racing all day up the 4 climbs and subsequent descents. I had no options. So loosened off the rear brakes to limit the rubbing and down mountain we went.

At Bourg I asked for “Mechanique” and was pointed towards the start line where I managed to find the Mavic Service Van. I could be in luck. The mechanic taped the spoke properly and trued the wheel as it was. It wouldn’t be as strong as it’s supposed to be but it was true(ish) and would do.

I filed down the channels towards the start and to my pen – numbers 500 to 2,500 – which by now was pretty full. I’d predictably left the flat a little late and the wheel issues had delayed me further so I was further back than I’d have liked. Not long to go now. I lost the bin bag, sipped at my start-line drinks bottle, nibbled my pre-race banana and waited for the chorus of clicks from the 2,000-or-so riders in front of me that would signal that we were off...

No comments: